Friday, November 2, 2007

Changing perspective

Early in the morning, I indulge in listening to a little classical music. When Tom Allen announced the next piece would be something from Bach, I thought 'Yeay!'. And then I remembered the time, only a decade or two ago, when I really wasn't much into Bach. In fact, ever since childhood I've been a romantic, with all that means philosophically, intellectually and emotionally, not to mention musically.

Now in my latter years I seem to be more open to the classical.

Thinking back, I also remembered foods I disliked as a girl that I now eat with relish. For instance, avocadoes and green beans, I love. Liquids like gravy (!), and cream -- yummy. Liver -- um, strike that. I still eat it with 'long teeth' as the Afrikaans idiom has it, and no longer cook it at home. My dear husband has to order it when we do Italian.

I'm happy to know change is always possible and we can be open to worthwhile aspects of life we couldn't access before.

No comments:

Post a Comment