Thursday, November 8, 2007

Burnt water

I don't drink alcohol, have never smoked and don't do other funny stuff -- unless you classify taking natural and homeopathic medicines as such. But I am addicted, because, as the old song goes, 'I love coffee, I love tea'. To pursue this byway for a second, when in England I visit a funky coffeeshop called Java and Jive.

But I digress.

Tea is cosy. Tea is comforting. This morning I was making my early cuppa. As the water was churning in the kettle, I thought of all the instructions for good tea-making that say 'pour on freshly boiling water'. This always seemed obvious to me, but I'm waking up to how important it is for my enjoyment. As can happen, drinking awful cups of tea brought realization and appreciation. I mean, have you ever had a good cup of tea in hospital? Just when you'd really appreciate it, you get something that tastes like soggy dishrags. Ditto in general on airplane flights.

The reason institution tea is so awful has to do with what my son calls burnt water. Those large urns are filled and refilled and the water goes on boiling and boiling until it's dead. You could use the best quality tea and it would still taste terrible. So, if you want an 'ahhhh' cup of tea to drink, those old instructions are worth following. Be sure to fill the kettle with newly drawn water, though. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment