Monday, September 24, 2007

Can clothes influence activity?

Today I'm wearing jeans that come to mid-calf. I'm reminded that, when I was a teenager, we called this style of pants 'pedal-pushers', ... so they bring memories of bike rides around our neighbourhood. And in North America, they're also 'clam diggers' -- a term that brings to me a pleasant mental picture of fun on the beach.

Words and fashion -- both have always fascinated me. Sometimes I wonder who thinks up the names. Once upon a time, we wore capes with hoods, and these were called cagoules. Now we wear sweaters with hoods and call them hoodies. In Britain that term is almost synonymous with teenage yobbos. Maybe the term was badly chosen? hoods and hoodlums?

Anyhow, that's what fluttered by me today. And now, ta da, I'm heading to the garage to take out my bike and give it an airing.

No comments:

Post a Comment