Wednesday, January 3, 2007

Winter wonders

I have to admit, I'm conflicted about our unseasonally warm winter weather. Being one who hails from Southern climes, I'm thankful that my rheumatic fingers don't feel cold all day, and relieved to be able to go for a walk and not feel my feet slipping away from under me. It's a pity I never learned to skate or ski properly -- one of the regrets of my life. Could be worse, I know. But this morning, I was busy preparing our breakfast muesli, cutting up papaya (the southern climes thing again) and I found myself humming 'I'm dreaming of a White Christmas'. I think it was the Bing verson and not the Nat. This made me realize I feel unsettled. Somehow, this warmth doesn't feel quite right.
One of the Christmas gifts I received was the DVD of Al Gore's 'An Inconvenient Truth'. I'm still mulling over what my life would look like if I took the message to heart. Our daughter tells me the film has made a huge impact in England. Is this also true in North America, I wonder? Or, is this continent doing what I'm about to do as regards writing about this issue -- that is, put it off till another day?

No comments:

Post a Comment