Tuesday, January 2, 2007

Calendars and post cards

New Year greetings to you all.
Calendars and photos mark the measure of our days. Yesterday I took down the old calendars and hung up the new. We always have three -- one in the kitchen, near the phone; one in my dear husband's office, and one in my study. This year I bought a star-guide for the kitchen because I'm still hoping to become more familiar with these North American heavens. My dear husband gets beautiful landscapes in Provence because France is the country that always beckons us and still spells romance. Mine is a photo calendar of our English grandsons.
For the past ten years, I've made a family photo calendar to send to my mother at Christmas time. On my last visit she brought them out -- yes, she'd kept each one -- and we sat together and looked over them. So many memories came flooding back, so many smiles to see how we used to look, and I thought, 'What a great record'. Organization of the twelve is always a bit of a challenge. I often do a combination of the family member who has a birthday that month, or with something seasonal.
The trouble with my photos generally is that they accumulate. So, having enjoyed some very welcome breathing space during these Holy Nights, one evening I sat down to make up a couple of albums. That brought me to such a lovely, blessed mood. As I slid images of loved ones into plastic sleeves, I relived so many happy moments, reconnected with dear ones who live near and far away, although I keep them all close to my heart.
Today I'll clear the cork pin board. Take down the postcards we've received this year, and say a little 'thanks' to those friends and family who thought to send. And I'll wonder what wonders of the world will arrive to adorn my wall during the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment