Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Life changes

Because I watch hardly any TV, in my blog you're unlikely to find playground chat about what was on the box last night. However, I like to listen to the radio in between writing times and when I'm in the car. I always loved the story that Francis Edmunds -- founder of Emerson College in Britain -- used to tell with great glee. A little boy once confided to him, "I like listening to the radio rather than watching TV because the pictures are so much better!"

Yes.

Driving to fetch my husband from the car pool parking lot on Sunday, I heard a discussion on and some of the music from 'Kiss Me Kate'. I saw this musical first as a stage play in London, England, and have adored it ever since. It's the two gangsters who really amuse me. I specially like the song 'Brush Up Your Shakespeare' as a way to whisper sweet nothings (Valentine's coming up soon).

The singer of a recently staged revival remarked how surprised he was at the audience response when he sang 'Where is the life I used to live?' So I've been thinking, surely that's because we can all relate to this in one fashion or another. Life is all about changes, small and big. Often, as my dear husband says, it's about letting go.

No comments:

Post a Comment