Sunday, December 24, 2006

Midnight stars

One Christmas Eve when I was a teenager, I was invited to go to the Moon. No, really. This was a hotel on the outskirts of Johannesburg. In those days, going dining and dancing on the 24th December was what young people did.
I was expected to be home soon after midnight, which meant being out at this time and having the chance to look up at the sky. The air on the Highveld is thin and clear, and the heavens are full and bright with stars.
Later, when we enjoyed family Christmas holidays at the coast, I'd make sure to step outside at twelve o'clock and look up. On the farm, in England, and now in Canada -- so in both northern and southern hemispheres -- this is what I still love to do. Tonight at midnight, I'll step outside, gaze up at the heavens and see what I can sense.... Something, perhaps of a cosmic Christmas that can happen for us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment