Monday, December 18, 2006

Living in winter colours

How deeply the environments we live in during our first years affect us. Africa is a bright country. Sunshine is deep in my bones. Blue skies above and many-hued flowers around me formed part of my birthright. So I love to live with colour.
Here in the east of North America, after the fall the world outside looks pretty drab to me. However, this is changing. Now that I've been in Ontario for almost fourteen years, I've gradually acquired an appreciation for these more subtle shades of brown, grey, beige, greige, olive green and faded blue. Instead of the joy of Wow! that I experience in summer and autumn, there's a kind of tender effect that I feel in my soul.
I know this is the darkest time of the year. The winter solstice lies only a couple of days away. But these mornings bring their own blessing. This is, that it's easy to see and watch the dawn break. As the sky begins to lighten, and delicate hues spread in the heavens, I find a different way of breathing it all in.

No comments:

Post a Comment