Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Gift evaluation

So how did I score? I bit the dust with one gift, but hit the jackpot with another. The latter was a happy accident. I happened to see the specially-designed canvas bag with its outside pockets for scissors, yarn, or whatever, and thought 'perfect for my daughter in law'. And it was. She's a knitter, you see.
Maybe the key is to be on always on the qui vive for gifts.... but the worst is wandering the stores hoping that an item will hit you in the eye.
The other option, which I overlooked before, is the list. A wish-letter to Santa. Oh ho ho, what pitfalls lie therein, as I've been hearing from a couple of friends who are also parents. What happened when their offspring, be they six or twenty-six, didn't receive exactly what was asked for? Bubble and trouble, it seems.
I spent a few moments thinking maybe we should do away with Christmas gifts altogether, but no, I'll stick to my challenges. It's a good soul exercise to give consideration to what would please this or that person who's dear to me. For surely, the best gifts are those that are unexpected, yet appropriate. Like most things, I guess the way to go is to put in some time, effort and creativity. Luckily I've got almost a year to practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment