Sunday, August 17, 2014

Into the clothes closet

Are you a clothes hoarder? I don't mean, 'do you have too many in your closet', rather I mean this...

A couple of weeks ago my husband and I went to buy some clothes on the sales. So I got a couple of new pairs of jeans, a linen dress and a tee shirt type top. When we got home, I carefully put them away and doubt I'll wear any of them before next summer.

Meanwhile, my husband bought a light jacket, socks and two pairs of shorts. He's worn one of the latter, as well as the socks and the jacket... that was, after I'd cut off the labels and thrown them in the paper recycling.

So I was wondering... What's that all about? Why do I keep the new things rather than wearing them? I suspect this has to do with living in South Africa. During the days when my mother was still alive and we used to meet for morning coffee and shopping every Tuesday (so very glad we did that! They were special times.) we used to buy some imported clothes. Now, if you think about it, we were in the Southern Hemisphere so the seasons didn't tally. This meant buying garments and not being able to wear them for quite a few months.

What I discovered then was this: there's something rather delicious about knowing you have something new and nice to wear, just waiting patiently in the closet. So I guess that's when I acquired the habit of being a closet hoarder.

How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment