Saturday, August 23, 2014

Friendly mirrors

"I love this mirror." My dear aunt Katty said, regarding her reflection and tweaking her hairstyle.

She was visiting us in our South African 'cottage' i.e. holiday home by the sea.

I didn't see anything special about that particular mirror, although it was pretty enough, with its curlicued frame of white-painted wrought iron.

"Why?" I asked.

"'Cos it makes me look thinner."

I'd never thought of such a phenomenon, but ever since then I've occasionally come across mirrors that enhance or detract. Most recently, buying clothes on sale in an upmarket store I wondered if the owners had ever considered theirs. It's one of those establishments where you have to leave the cubicle in order to see how you look (hate that!). The three-way mirror is flawed and makes you (me) look like a dumpling. Not a good idea from the retail side.

Anyhow, I'm happy to tell you that the bathroom mirror in our new abode is a friendly one. This is nice because I can start off the day feeling good about myself. And, even though I don't subscribe to the idea that we should all be slim, but rather that we all have our optimum weight, whether it be on the thinner or fatter side, I like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment