Saturday, August 2, 2014

In defense of 'should'

So, in certain circles where I hang out, there seems to be a campaign to eliminate 'should' from our vocabulary. Now, I well understand that people feel it's an attack on personal freedom to tell someone they 'should' do something. Personally, though, I think 'should' can be helpful. Even between man and wife!

Yes, I appreciate it (mostly) when my husband suggests I should do this or that. Sometimes I balk, but even then, after some thought, I'll probably admit he's right. And that's helpful. The suggestion might be purely on the practical level, something to do with my physical health, or even on the soul and/or social level. So I come around and experience the benefit. More and more I realize that a marriage partnership provides opportunities for growth if you can allow them into your heart.

This whole subject came up for me just recently. Most Thursday evenings I enjoy an 'artistic' conversation with my son-in-law, the artist Richard Heys (see http://www.richardianheys.co.uk). We talk about the ups and downs of living the creative life, share inspirations and so forth. I also, of course, follow Richard on facebook where he posts photos of his latest work and also news of upcoming exhibitions and other small and big triumphs. Most recently one of his paintings has been shortlisted for a prize. You can see it right there, on the website.

Now Richard also writes most beautifully and has wonderful titles for his paintings. So I said to him, 'You should always put up the titles of your paintings.'

Anyone have an argument with that?

No comments:

Post a Comment