Monday, January 6, 2014

Presents

'What did you get for Christmas?
This was an important question when I was a child, and a good opening conversational gambit.

Presents, I guess, come in various categories: the fun, the useful, the entertaining, and of course the 'what on earth am I going to do with this?' kind. Fortunately, I receive very few of those. If any.

This year my husband and I were on our own for Christmas and we didn't exchange gifts. However, we agreed to buy ourselves a new toaster. One morning last week, off he went to run some errands. And he returns triumphantly with said new toaster. Fine. You know how it is. Go into a store, remember that this is what we need, take a look at what's on offer and buy what seems most suitable.  Whereas me, I would have done some research, price-wise and design wise before making a choice. But I guess that's the gender difference, isn't it?

Still, it's not totally true when I say that we didn't get any gifts, because (also last week) a friend arrived with a shiny bag filled with three different treats: tiny chocolates, a box of special tea and some Weleda rose body products for me. How truly delightful!

Some people, it seems to me, are simply brilliant at gift buying and giving. But me, I largely lack the skill, with the exception of the occasional flash of inspiration or stroke of good shopping luck.
I suppose we've all felt that sense of gratification and gladness when a present hits the right note -- often one of surprise, certainly one of delight.

So what's the secret? I suspect the answer is quite complex. Once you've decided on a budget or, if it's a craft, a time investment, maybe it goes something like this: observe the person you wish to give a present to, think about them and get a glimpse into his or her soul. Then keep your feelers alert and search both outwardly and inwardly for what this person would like.

No comments:

Post a Comment