Monday, January 13, 2014

Living Off the Grid #2: Salon Honda

So to start with I made two mistaken assumptions:

1) that I would be able to use a hair dryer while we were staying with the family

2) that my North American appliance would work in New Zealand.

Shock, horror when I discovered no and no. What to do? To translate roughly from a great South African saying, 'A farmer makes a plan'. Hair gets dry in the air, for sure, but what to do about the style, seeing as I couldn't do a 'blow out'? (i.e. what used to be known as a 'blow dry').

Okay. I headed to the dollar store and bought some self-stick rollers. I figured an investment of $8 was altogether justified.

After showing me the gondola where the packets were hanging, the cheerful and helpful owner took my money at the till and said, "We sell a surprising number of these!"

Go figure...

Now the air dry was a problem. The weather at the beginning of November was cool. So I decided to head for Salon Isuzu. Equipped with Eleanor Catton's Booker-prize winning 'The Luminaries' and my special glasses for reading in sunlight, I climbed in and sat in the warmth.


I even had a coffee, courtesy of my thoughtful husband. But it wasn't such a good idea, the one time I left the mug in the van!

Later in our visit the days grew warmer so I was able to graduate to the terrace outside the studio. And here I am, in all my rollered glory!



I'm wearing my sweater like a bib in order to protect against the sun.

Lastly, to give you some idea of the results, here's a pic taken when we went to visit a friend. The style is not perfect, but good enough. And 'good enough' is fine for me!




No comments:

Post a Comment