Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Sadie, the Cleaning Lady

This morning, in honour of a guest who'll be visiting for a few days, I'm the cleaning lady.

Hey, nice to know I'm a lady for a few hours, even if it does mean cleaning toilets and vacuuming.

So there I was, giving our bedroom a 'going over', as my nan would have said. I have one of those vacs that follow you around on a lead, sort of like a reluctant dog who every now and then refuses to move.

Under a window, I found a dead fly lying (not flying, duh!), so I whipped off the carpet attachment, sucked it up and slid the carpet beater bit back onto the stick. Yes, it gave a click. No, it didn't stay put. Instead, it slipped off while I was vacuuming under the bed. I'm sure you can picture what came next: me, lying on my tummy, reaching to retrieve it.

Sheesh, sometimes I think I should star in a reality comedy show.

However, apart from the satisfaction of a spruced-up house, I have now reclaimed a single, knee-high stocking and a paper grip. ;-)