Monday, August 26, 2013

Notebooks: Do you love 'em?

So I was chatting with a guy who used to be a neighbour when we lived back in Toronto. He lost his wife to breast cancer some years back and has now remarried. He's moved in with his new wife, but I heard that he hadn't sold his old house.

"You haven't got rid of all your stuff, then?" I asked.
"No."
"What about when you're gone? ."
"Oh," he answered. "My sons can deal with all that. They might as well have something to do."

This, to lead you in to what I was doing last night: going through old notebooks and, actually, a pile of new ones too.

The thing is, I'm starting a revision of one of my romantic comedies in hopes of getting it out in October, because yes, it's kind of a Halloween story. I thought perhaps I'd find the notebook I originally used for its writing and hoped there'd be some free pages so I could carry on. Unfortunately, not. Although many of my notebooks sport empty pages. Some of them only have a page or two written on. Some are full.

These last present a problem. Shall I simply leave them for some poor soul to go through after I've passed on? Or is it better to get rid of them now?

They're more like journals, which means they contain writings and poems that I haven't keyed into the computer. Once I've published a book I tend to throw out the notebooks. But it's still hard.

And -- confession time -- I'm kind of a collector of notebooks. I specially like the European ones from England, Italy and France. And I love a cover with a design to it, as well as bright, glossy colour. Maybe this is the reason why I'm unlikely to abandon writing by hand?