Friday, November 2, 2012

Aimez-vous Brahms?

Ummm, maybe I've used that title before? If so, no apologies because I think it's a brilliant title. I also thought 'A Certain Smile' was pretty good. Yes, I read all Francoise Sagan's books, in French, years ago, and enjoyed them.

I read different types of books according to my needs. For example, romantic comedy when I'm jet-lagged. And if you happen to be in that state and feel the need, my new romcom 'Catch of the Year' will be out from Crimson Romance on the 5th November. Coming out with a bang, as my husband says, in reference to Guy Fawkes in the UK. So, not a brilliant title there, but my original one was discarded because it was too close to another novel the publisher had already released. Sob.

Before I go to sleep at night, I read Rudolf Steiner. With ref to the above paragraph, definitely from the ridiculous to the sublime!

And now to get to what was fluttering in my mind this morning and sparked this post. You see, I turned on the radio and heard Mozart. For me, he's the absolute best composer to listen to when I'm still half in my dream world, but waking to the day. I can also do Bach, Haydn and maybe Schubert. You get the picture. Beethoven and the romantics (yes, my beloved Brahms) can come later. Opera too. Better in the afternoon though, so I don't get too churned up. Really modern music has to wait until I can hear a live performance. Can't do it via the radio.

The realization of how my audible preferences change in the course of the day came to me via that wonderful film 'A Room with a View'. Did you see it? The heroine gets emotionally churned up when she plays Beethoven.

This was one of the few books-to-film where I saw the film first, and was happy to read the book later, and even felt I appreciated it more that way. The other one was 'A Passage to India'. This novel was part of my required reading at university, but I simply couldn't do it. Actually, I think I wasn't ready for most of the books on our reading list! But after I saw the movie, I got into the novel and found it wonderful.