Monday, November 19, 2012

Connections

Yesterday was my monthly meditation class. To help prepare for this and put myself in the right kind of mind space, I make sure to turn off my computer by 6 p.m. on Saturday evening, which is the 'eve', and so in a way, already the start of Sunday. And I keep it turned off until after, which is usually around lunchtime.

Yesterday I realized it's becoming harder and harder for me not to want the feeling of connection that facebook, email and Twitter bring, despite the fact that often actually checking the all latter leads to a slight let down. Nevertheless, it's the anticipation. Maybe there's something amazing waiting for me. I simply have to take a look.

So, feeling a bit horrified at my addiction, I started to think, actually to compare this to how it is in my morning quiet time when I intentionally and consciously think of those souls who are particularly close to me: family and friends. But also, with reference to the last post, those of my loved ones who have passed over, as well as those who have been spiritually connected with me.

What then is the difference?

Mostly obviously, I have no feeling of compunction in regard to my meditation and quiet time. This is something I do quite freely, even though the day would feel wrong if I didn't go to that special place. But there's something more.

Fiction, and in particular, young adult fiction seems to be all about magic powers these days. I think this has something to do with our times. More, I believe we can all develop our consciousness in a higher direction. So, when I work with connecting myself during my meditation time, that increases my ability to sense when someone is in need or ailing in some way. I'm not reliant on the internet, although if I don't phone, I might pop off a quick email just to find out how this particular friend is doing. I'm humbled and yet glad when I hit it right and my reaching out helps in some way.