Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Dressing up, dressing down

I read recently, maybe on the BBC site, that opera goers were being encouraged to 'dress down'. So I've been thinking about this.

When we go to a symphony concert or opera, I'm fine with whatever people choose to wear. But I really get a kick out of seeing those members of the audience who are dressed up. I mean, I can see people wearing jeans and tees any time, any day of the week, but how often do I get to see my fellow human beings all gussied up?

'Moonstruck' is one of my favourite movies. I can't imagine how it would be if the scenes of Cher beautifying herself and taking on a new lease of life were lost. Would the story work at all?

For me, too, I enjoy dressing up for an evening out. This lends a sense of occasion. I was going to write 'to my humdrum life', but that's not at all how I experience things on an everyday level. Nevertheless, when we have tickets booked for a special event, I love the sense of anticipation, the knowledge that we'll be swanning downtown to enjoy a performance.

Lifts the spirits, for sure. And don't we all need that from time to time?