Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Our On-Screen Lives

Are you like my husband and me? Every day we engage with other people via email. We check out various websites and blogs and maybe surf the web a bit.

Who doesn't? you ask. In first world countries, I guess most people do. And this surely brings quite a change in our lives because, unlike most other things that go on in our lives, most of this is not shared with our loved ones and families. Sure, there's facebook, but that's not really what I mean. I'm saying that a proportion of our lives is kept completely separate from those nearest and dearest to us.

Before the world wide web, I believe we shared more. We could and did ask 'How did your day go, honey?' But now, who's really going to ask, or even be interested in 'What did you do online today?'

This is the observation that's been hovering in my mind. Now I'm going to sit outside and watch the butterflies for a while.