Friday, August 31, 2012

Blue Moon

Okay, I don't usually post so often, but I couldn't let this day and night go by without writing something about what's happening in the sky.

Two of our four children got married in a blue moon month. Not the same one, though. Hopefully, this augurs well.

I guess I'll have that old song on my mind for a while. It reminds me of childhood and teenaged days when we used to have fun on the piano with the tune. My cousin or aunt would play the base, and I would stand on their right and bash out the notes with pinky and thumb.

If I ever had to answer one of those interview questions that go: 'Which skill do you wish you had?' I'd answer, 'To be able to play the piano.'

Now, I used to be able to, and took lessons while I was at ballet school, and for a couple of years after that. But even though I really enjoyed playing, it never came easily to me. Years later, when we bought a piano so our daughter could learn, I found I'd lost everything I'd ever achieved. Couldn't even play Brahms Lullaby. I tried to get into it again, with no luck. Seems I just don't have what it takes in that direction.

But here's the thing. All you have to do to entertain and please me is to sit down in front of the keyboard and play.

These days that happens for me once in a blue moon. Seeing as our daughter lives too far away to visit, I guess I'll have to see what's available this weekend.