Saturday, July 21, 2012

Greetings

Thanks to the miracle of a new hip, I'm taking walks again. And as I go, I'm greeted and greet in return. If I 'go' first, it's a toss up as to what words to use and often, I confess, I simply say 'hi'. But more and more these days I appreciate it if the person coming towards me says 'Good morning' or 'Good afternoon' or 'Good evening'. This acknowledges the moment in the day that other greetings do not, plus we know that the 'good' part referred to God's morning, afternoon or evening.

Recently it registered with me that 'hallo' was a word only invented when the telephone came into use and something was needed that was, presumably, not tied to the time of day. Well, okay. Of course I use this frequently myself, although I remember my dear mother bemoaning the fact and saying how awful she thought that was.

Nowadays we hear 'Hey'. When I was a child this word was used instead of 'What did you say', but it came with disapproval. In fact, friends would chorus in response, 'Hay, straw, donkey manure'.

How far we've strayed from a heavenly greeting!

(two posts in two days. You can tell I'm not writing.)