Friday, July 13, 2012

A small touch of magic

About seven months ago I was in South Africa. As always, I like to bring home gifts, especially as you can find so many inexpensive and quirky souvenirs made from different materials there. The inventiveness of the human mind never ceases to amaze me!

So I fell for a key ring. It was made of a polished seed pod that fitted to happily into the palm of my hand, and I thought, 'I know, this can be for my son-in-law'. Richard Heys is a struggling and talented artist who has had what I can only refer to as a moveable studio over the last few years. Each time he finds a place, he cleans it up, paints it and makes it nice so that it's a congenial space, and then, a month or three later, he has to move on.

When I gave the key ring to him I said, 'This is for your studio. Your own studio'.

He gave a little chuckle of disbelief.

And now, guess what? Next month he and our daughter will be moving to a new house, one that has a beautiful studio attached. How wonderful is that?