Wednesday, January 11, 2012

At the screen again!

The trouble with having a break from technology and being in holiday mode is that the real world is addictive. But I'm back. For a bit, anyhow. As I'll be having a great deal of regular writing work to do, I've decided to blog regularly for a month and then give myself a month off.

Visiting old haunts in Johannesburg, the Garden Route, Cape Town and then Sussex and London brought strange feelings, feelings of familiarity and home-coming along with the recognition that these places belong to my past. The energetic vibe of Johannesburg was great after that overnight flight that even the Flight Attendant thought was long! The sheer beauty of the Garden Route and then Cape Town and environs just blew me away. Of course, I have it all in my memory but somehow to experience the views of the mountains, the plains, the oceans struck me as breathtaking... especially in that sunshine so sharply bright.

And London! We went to see the stage production of 'War Horse' and caught a taxi between Victoria Station and the theatre. This meant we drove around past Buckingham Palace, down the Mall, through Admiralty Arch and up to Trafalgar Square. And I was back in my teenaged and early-married life, uplifted by the grace, beauty and grandeur of the buildings.

Ah yes.

So I began to worry: how would I feel when I got back to North America? Folks, it feels good to be home.