Saturday, August 27, 2011

Numbers

Well, it's almost  September, and thoughts for the blog have been fluttering into my mind. So I'm back!

Right now I'm trying to refresh my fluency in French just in case perchance by good luck some author interviews come my way. Mostly, I'm practising those pesky numbers, in particular 1993 in case someone broaches that FAQ: what year did you come to North America? In order to answer this in French, I have to say ten, nine, four (x) twenty, thirteen. Complicated, hey? What I'm thinking is that the Academie Francaise should invent new words for seventy, eighty and ninety. That would make the numbers so much easier. Not to mention shortening the typing and saving the breath.

Apart from the complication, why is this such a stumbling block for me? From what I understand, people generally and naturally do mental arithmetical calculations in their mother tongue. This is something that's retained even when they're far away from their original roots.

Meantime, if you catch me muttering, you'll know it's not serious. I'm simply happily slipping into my francais.

No comments:

Post a Comment