Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Lilac Time and Dandelion city

This was the title of an old (1928) movie, but the song that's been running in my head is 'We'll gather lilacs in the spring again' from 'Perchance to Dream'... a good title, I'd say!

The first time I ever stayed with my mother and father-in-law to be, they had a recently-widowed friend visiting too. I remember this song came on the radio, and how my mother-in-law quickly switched it off when she saw how her friend was affected.

It's a beautiful song, very poignant and nostalgic.

Right now I'm seeing lilacs splendidly and profusely in bloom. What a sight they are, not to mention the way they perfume the air. I don't think I've ever seen them look so glorious. Not since coming to North America anyhow. Then we have this profusion of dandelions, also more than I've ever seen. I believe it's the same in the U.K. too. These yellow flowers are special, though, because you can use every bit of the plant, mostly for remedial purposes. I don't do much, except pluck three or four leaves to add to our mixed green salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment