Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Belated mothers' day

My mother died two years ago on the 14th April at the age of 98, a month before her 99th birthday. What with that, and mothers' day, she's been much on my mind. In fact, I'd say she sent me a little wave on mothers' day itself.

You see, one of the songs she loved -- and she loved many -- was Willie Nelson singing 'Crazy'. It's not a song you hear that often these days, but lo and behold, while driving in the car on mothers' day morning, the poignant melody and words came winding out of the radio, into my ears, my mind, my heart.

I've written a bit before about my parents' relationship before they married. But I don't think I've told you about what my dad's younger brother did for them before the wedding. In South Africa in those days you were married in community of property. This caused great hardship for many women, but that's another story... Those in the know and who could afford it would have an ante-nuptial contract drawn up so that the wife retained a measure of economic independence.

My Uncle Bert, being a lawyer, drew up this contract for my mom and dad. And it contained a few surprises. Knowing my mom, my uncle had specified certain things that worked decidedly in her favour. For instance, my mother was entitled to redecorate every few years (never having seen the document, I can't be more precise).

I truly wish I'd had the opportunity to read their marriage contract. More, I love it that my uncle was so supportive of my mom when the elder sister was not. Amazingly enough, my mother never bore a grudge and was unceasingly generous and kind towards my aunt.

No comments:

Post a Comment