Sunday, November 30, 2008

Slow

Slowing down is what we do as we get older, right? These days several activities go much slower for me than they used to and I've decided that's not at all a bad thing.

First of all, walking. Today I took a three-mile plus hike up a canyon. Going up, I was passed many times by other people, including kids and a dachshund. I also had to stop often to catch my breath and allow my heartbeat to return to normal. Slogging along, I remembered the days of my youth in London when I walked faster than anyone around, and usually in high heels too. Well, being in training as a ballet dancer I was as fit as, if not fitter than, most athletes. But now, even when I think I'm walking fast, I'm actually not, as proved by those others passing me.

But you know what? It's better, I think, that I don't go charging through life any more. Those pauses going up the mountain and even the slower walking pace allow me to admire the view and be more aware of my surroundings.

My eating is much slower too. Again, I'm happy with that situation. What's the use of gobbling down food? Quite apart from being a bad idea health-wise, the actual savouring of what's on the plate adds to the experience and satisfaction.

And thirdly, I read books at a snail's pace. Sometimes I regret this, remembering the time when I could do one or two a day. Even the most exciting novel (and I read very few of those) will take me at least a week to get through. For non-fiction it's much longer than that. Here again, my experience is different because I take the time.

So yes, definitely, all of these slowing downs are good for me and the reason is simple. I notice more.

No comments:

Post a Comment