Monday, March 17, 2008

Monday Monday

Monday of Holy Week, and St. Patrick's day to boot! I'm starting to feel the approach of Easter where even last week it felt impossible, especially because Easter this year will happen as early as it possibly can.

This morning I have to decided: will I wear the green? My maternal great grand-father hailed from Ireland, but I never really thought about this side of my Celtic heritage until I flew to Cork for a weekend. When I arrived I had time to spare before catching a bus to Dunvegan. Looking around the airport, I saw so many pamphlets about searching for Irish ancestors that it woke me up to the fact that many, many people visit Ireland on that kind of quest. As I sat on the bus next to a lovely and generous Irish colleen, ("Have one of these sweets, do.") I looked out on those green green fields with new eyes and something was opened for me.

Ah the soft, shimmering air! I almost expected to see a few leprechauns peeping out from behind one of those low, grey stone walls... the fascination of the sound of English spoken with liquid vowels that fell softly on my ears. It was quite an experience, and my only regret was that I didn't get to hear live music in a pub. Luckily that's something I can make up for tonight, right around the corner.

So yes, probably I'll don my jeans and dig out that green tee shirt that gives my skin a ghostly tinge. What I won't do is go on an Irish-type binge!

No comments:

Post a Comment