Sunday, February 24, 2008

white and blue

In all the years I've lived in the northern hemisphere, February's been the longest month to get through. Lucky it's the shortest, hey?We've been looking at a white landscape since the beginning of December, and that's likely to continue for at least another six weeks. Strangely enough, this year I'm not finding the lack of bright colours so difficult. I'm enjoying the shades of blue in the sky, mauve shadows on the snow. And even if it seems as if spring is a country that'll never come, I hear birds twittering in the spruce outside my bedroom window when I wake; the morning's not so dark and in the evening the sun lingers longer.

The interesting thing I find about February is that brings me a good amount of creative energy. And I wonder if that's not perhaps a general principle. My dear artist friend who lives on an ostrich farm has completed no less than four wonderful pastels this month... So I guess all times and seasons have their positive and helpful aspects.

Still, I'm looking forward to getting away for a week in March!

No comments:

Post a Comment