Saturday, February 16, 2008

split post

#1. Chocolate, I believe, is a popular Valentine's gift. Hey, I got some myself, from the little person.

Now, chocolate is a popular item to give up for Lent. Me myself, I'm trying not to eat it, but more from my health point of view. But it did strike me as ironic, this year, that the time coincided.

I still haven't quite decided what to give up for Lent. I do believe giving up some habit is a good exercise for the soul. I'd better hurry up and fix on something.

#2. "OW!" says the little person each time he notices the plaster on the tip of my index finger, left hand. Yes, I cut myself the other afternoon. This happened with a very sharp knife my dear husband gave me for Christmas. The knife is one of those special ones, often used for cutting up veg for stir fries. Mostly, when we have stir fries, it's the d.h. who does them. Anyway, the knife already has a history because of the tilted handle which I decided was a bit uncomfortable for me to use. I suffer from a touch of carpal tunnel. The store wouldn't take it back because we no longer had the receipt and thus... I decided I'd better make use of it and whoooops.

Afterwards, I wondered if this happened because I hadn't given my d.h. a copper coin in return. It's not me, but my mother who insists on bowing to this superstition. If someone gives you a pair of scissors or a knife, you need to pay a penny or else you'd cut your friendship. Hmm. Well, I guess that's metaphorical and doesn't apply to the reality level, but nevertheless...

The other superstition she has is that if you cut your nails on a Monday morning, you'll get a present. I really liked this when I was a child because it always came true! This idea must have some kind of base to it, although it sounds crazy. Monday is moon day after all, and the moon has an influence on the growth of our hair and nails. Where the present bit came in, I'm not sure, but for sure I'm okay with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment