Monday, May 21, 2007

Victoria Day

It's lilac and violets time in my garden, which seems appropriate considering this is the Victoria day long weekend. Canada, I believe, is the only country to honour Queen Vic in this way. So I got to thinking about her reign, how women loved to wear lavenders and mauves then, and what it mean to have a woman on the throne at that great time of British imperialism.

And that got me thinking of the present queen, and of Elizabeth 1st of England, who also reigned at a significant time in history.

For me, studying history in school was a big disappointment. Mostly we had to learn dates and events. Sure, we learned the names of people like Napoleon, but what was missing was gaining some insight into the personalities, some idea of how it felt, living in past times -- the different experience, the different way people's minds worked then. Yes, I wanted to know about development, and our evolving consciousness as things changed. In writerly terms, I wanted to hear about humankind as a work-in-progress.

On my walk yesterday I passed women planting flowers -- sometimes alone, sometimes with a friend. What I'd wish for us all is... no frost in May.

No comments:

Post a Comment