Saturday, May 12, 2007

CBC's new programming

I've been blogging a bit about change recently, but this is one I simply cannot get my head around. Radio 2's drastically reduced the amount of classical music they play. Now, I listen to other stuff -- a bit of jazz, some easy light listening -- but more and more I find myself switching off the new programs and switching over to the commercial classical station.

Is this simply reluctance on my part to move with the time? I'm not sure. I mean, I can see that there's a shift by the CBC radio bigwigs, a wanting to appeal to a younger audience, but is this wise? Have they worked through the demographic projections? If it's us, the grey-haired audience, you can mostly find at the symphony and other concerts, does this matter? We'll be soooo many more during the coming years, so, a good proportion of the population in Canada.

And at the other end of the scale, I heard this morning, yes, on the commercial station, that Classical FM in Britain is increasingly listened to (quite a jump) by under fifteens.

Surely, quality counts.

No comments:

Post a Comment