Thursday, May 3, 2007

Nudges

The phone rings. It's a woman soliciting unwanted clothes and household goods for the Diabetes Association. They'll pick up on Friday.

Yeah, well, okay. Great. My dear husband's been urging me to go through the closet, so this provides the motivation. And there are other things I'd be happy to shed. So the call starts me sorting.

Then a friend I seldom see pops by unexpectedly. We sit in the sunny kitchen and drink tea together. She's one of those wonderful young women I feel naturally close to, so much so that being with her is almost like being with one of my daughters. We relate. We can communicate. And so we start talking about her life and where she's at, inbetween jobs, just handed in her final paper for her university course... in a state of transition. How difficult that can be, demanding strength and patience. Uh huh. Does this ring a bell, or am I still in denial about our upcoming move?

Sharing thoughts and feelings gives me comfort and new courage. I'm grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment