Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Creating a new (old) home

Over the last three months or so my life, energies and thoughts have been busy with selling and moving house. What a challenging journey it's been. Maybe the whole process was difficult because we loved our old place so much... it was full of light and happy memories. And my husband had "just got the garden right". i.e. the soil via bio-dynamics, the flower beds and the veggies. All this meant it was hard to let go, although we knew a downsize would be an admirable idea.

My goodness, I had no idea we had accumulated so much stuff!!! Hopefully I'll be more conscious of what comes in through the door in future. We've taken bags and boxes full to the Salvation Army (thanks for that outlet) and some furniture has gone to auction. But now that we've actually moved into the new house, there's more that needs sorting and dealing with.

So we have new spaces to fill and decorate in order to make this new dwelling our home. What struck me were these questions: Do I simply go with what's already been done as far as furniture arrangement, picture hanging and so on? Or should I take the opportunity to rethink and recreate? It's nice to feel embraced by familiar surroundings but I'm sure it's also good to shake things up a bit. So I'm thinking some of each is a good idea.

Wish me luck and inspiration!

No comments:

Post a Comment