Thursday, May 19, 2011

The voice in my ear, the voice in my head

So yesterday I had a message on my phone, inquiring about school pick-up status. To respond, I dialed my son's cell-phone. Heard only the ringing tone. That was, until a chirpy female voice told me he wasn't answering, and 'not to take it personally' !! Um, this is my son and I'm not to take it personally?? Actually, I didn't, but rather chuckled at the irony. This got me thinking though, of recorded voices, especially when they're anonymous. There's that rogers guy who states bluntly, 'No one is available to take your call'. I switch off after that. Not literally, because I usually go ahead and leave a message.

But I have to wonder, what kind of karma are these 'voices' accumulating for themselves?

A very long time ago, I was interviewed on the radio. Now I'm hoping that archive has been destroyed. Although I'd be glad to do an audio version of my upcoming novel, I'm hesitant. Do I really want my voice 'out there' once I'm gone?

For a writer, a strong voice is, of course, a very good thing. I've struggled to find mine. When my critique partner would remark 'your voice is very strong here' I'd think 'huh? but there's nothing there!' Stephanie Meyer of 'Twilight' fame gets a fair amount of flak in the writing world, but I admire her simply for this: She has a compelling story-telling voice. And that's a rare and valuable commodity.

No comments:

Post a Comment