Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Today, the 16th December

I read/heard somewhere that today was Beethoven's birthday (if I remember correctly). What I'm sure about is that whoever gave me that information also suggested this was the day one could/should listen to all his symphonies. Much as I love Beethoven and his symphonies, I have to say that this idea fills me with horror. Truth is, I'd be as full as can be just by listening to one, and more than that would be sensory overload for sure.

Yes, as I get older I find the 'less is more' thinking closer to my heart. Certainly I read less and take more time to absorb what I do read.

On a completely different note, today used to be a holiday in South Africa. This was not a festive day, far from it. It was rather a solemn remembrance of a vow taken. Known as the Day of the Covenant, this was used year after year to help entrench apartheid. Maybe the 16th bears another name now. Goodness knows these days there are enough official holidays in South Africa to fill a month of Sundays. Maybe even more. The trend there seems to be more rather than less. In North America we're going the other way, reducing the number of days off. In this case I feel that's a shame. So many people work too-long hours these days and days off provide welcome and needed breathing space.

No comments:

Post a Comment