Monday, December 14, 2009

Penguins

Now I ask you, when and how did penguins become part of Christmas?

To answer my own question on a purely factual level... About five years ago I sent my husband out to buy wrapping paper. To my dismay he brought back a huge roll of red, black and white, yes, penguins. I say my dismay because I usually look for colours and patterns that have some kind of traditional connection with the season. And that paper lasted -- well, let's just say, too long. I think it was last year that we managed to use up the last scrap.

But it turns out my husband was ahead of the trend. Now I see penguins everywhere. We've even received a penguin Christmas card. And over the weekend when I was driving to visit friends, a blown-up figure in a front garden caught my eye. Yes, instead of a Santa, it was a penguin wearing a Santa hat!

So I'm baffled. All I can say or think is that they somehow look cute and cheerful.

No comments:

Post a Comment