Sunday, August 30, 2009

Flying by

I'm lucky enough to have a good view of sky and tree tops from my bedroom window. Yes, I can also see a bit of neighbouring rooftop, but not much. So after waking I've enjoyed watching birds flying by, seagulls and geese, sometimes crows, all stretching their wings wide and gliding with the wind. Or, to be more accurate, with the thermals.

What I'm trying to observe is the different manner in which the different kinds of birds flap their wings. My husband seems to know this without thinking about it and can easily identify a duck, for instance. Me, I have to work at it, but it's an enjoyable observation exercise. I can do a humming bird.

When I started to think of the various birds that we see around here, I also thought about insects that fly. In the garden I've seen a very few bumble bees, and quite a few wasps. Which leads me to the flying annoyances that have been far too prolific this summer -- the mosquitoes. I'm so glad they've given us a break this past week. Now all they have to do is keep away when the weather warms up again as it surely will.

No comments:

Post a Comment