Saturday, July 4, 2009

Happy 4th

So today we have the 4th July to celebrate. And last Wednesday it was the 1st, with Canadians gathering on Parliament Hill for Canada Day, many of them wearing red. Except my dear husband who made the mistake of wearing blue. He should have heeded the advice on the vanity plate of a car I saw recently viz: 'turn lft'.

On the 14th I'll be thinking of the Tricolor and, being something of a francophile, humming the Marseillaise. I'll remember the first time I saw Paris when my father took me there for the Easter weekend in 1955, and we visited Versailles and the Louvre, the Eiffel Tower and Napoleon's tomb. That was also the first time I flew in a plane. Then there was another Paris, the snatched weekend away from the children when the dear husband and I met at Gatwick and raced down the wide corridors to catch our cheap flight (the last two seats) just before the gate closed. Waiting at the luggage carousel at Charles de Gaulle, I stood next to and chatted to a charming Diane Keaton.

Ah memories. These days they flutter by almost as often as thoughts.

p.s. And in case you're wondering, I made a start on tidying my study, a task I'll take up again today. Yes, I baked a cake and arranged some flowers for the house. The revision of my manuscript? Only got that done yesterday. Seeing as my goal was to finish by the end of May, you can see these things always take longer than I anticipate. But I'm happy.

1 comment:

  1. Diane Keaton! That must have been a thrill.

    (The things you learn about people when you read their blog!!!)

    Susanne

    ReplyDelete