Saturday, March 7, 2009

Being frugal

It's back to reality. Usually it takes me a full three weeks to adjust to being home after a long trip, especially when I've been in the other hemisphere and opposite season. Maybe because it's nearrrrly spring, I felt settled after two weeks this time. Could also be because I felt strong and good after the holiday.

And now, it's tighten the belt time. And that's okay. I'm good at being frugal (foodwise anyhow) and even take a certain satisfaction in making our own granola, chicken and vegetable stocks and so on. For the latter two, I use a pressure cooker. Can you even find such a thing in stores today? Anyhow, mine is enamel on cast iron, so pretty heavy. I've had it ever since we lived on the farm, over thirty years ago! The pot is German and we've replaced rings and a couple of other parts, but still, I'd say that's pretty good going.

The thing with being frugal is that you've got to put in the time and energy. So much of what's available at the grocery store in recent years has been geared to quick and convenient. How much, I wonder, will the present world financial woes affect our life-styles? Remains to be seen. But I was interested to read a Guardian UK headline that quoted from Hillary Clinton's speech to the European parliament where she advised, 'Never waste a good crisis'!

No comments:

Post a Comment