Sunday, May 18, 2008

Waiting

When your parents are heading for a hundred, you know that one day they'll be passing over. You kind of hold your breath, waiting and wondering, living with the knowledge that death will come one day. That chapter in my life is closed, although I live with the warm love of my mother around me, and many thoughts and memories of her. One of the great blessings of having your parents with you until later in life is that you can learn much about yourself through them. For instance, you can see what habits you've picked up, what soul attitudes and ways of behaving and reacting. Sometimes these are good, sometimes more challenging. Then you know a bit what you need to work on!

But right now I'm holding my breath for an event right at the other end of the scale, although equally mysterious. Any moment I expect to hear that my daughter-in-law has gone into labour. Yes, the little person will, God willing, soon have a sibling.

It's a strange feeling, this waiting. Barring drastic human intervention, birth and death remain in the lap of the gods. Well, the full moon's coming up, and babies often like that time to be born, so maybe we'll be welcoming another Gemini into our family.

No comments:

Post a Comment