Saturday, April 28, 2007

The call of the future

Change, they say, is all about letting go of the past. This, I'm sure, is true. As I prepare to move to a different city, to leave a lovely, spacious and comfortable home, I remember happy occasion in this house with friends and family, summers in the garden. How I'll miss my two beloved birch trees, one outside my study, the other outside the bedroom. And there are other emotions too -- regrets at unfulfilled dreams and unmet expectations. These also need to be let go.

But change encompasses more, I realize, and this has to do with the future. What needs to happen is a reorienting of my life. I start to be aware that I'm beginning to welcome and open to what's coming towards me. Because this still lies ahead, it's not so obvious, yet the pull and the call of my new life in the future is definitely there.

Meantime, adjustment also has to happen by living in the present, sorting, discarding, and packing up, which process looks both back and forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment