Monday, April 9, 2007

because Sunday is different

thus the advertising promo to introduce a new look to the Sunday edition of the newspaper proclaimed. I have no argument with the sentiment.

When I was a child, Sunday was different because we couldn't go to movies and all stores except 'corner cafes' were closed. Sporadically we went to church. Often we had company for afternoon tea... yes, all very colonial.

Today we please ourselves, and make our own free decisions. Nevertheless, Sunday still has a different mood to it, and Easter Sunday most of all. Yesterday, I wrapped my ten month old grandson in my shawl and stepped outside with him to experience the joy and upliftment of the morning. He sat quietly on my hip, attentive, drinking it all in and listening to the twittering of the birds.

No comments:

Post a Comment