Friday, March 30, 2007

Bad bus 'karma'

(I put the 'k' word in brackets because of the incorrect usage... but current nevertheless)

In the interests of saving the planet, I took the bus and subway downtown last night.

What, I wondered, would the comparative stress factor be? I mean, I'm not fond of stop-and-go traffic. As a teenager I loved travelling to and from school by bus, happy to relinquish all control to the driver and dreaming along on the journey. This still applies -- once I'm on the bus.

The last six or seven times I've taken public transport, I just missed the bus by a squeak. Last night I managed to miss three!!! One passed me as I walked between stops, the second pulled up and away again while I was buying my automatic ticket, with the third right up its backside.

Panic stations! I was to meet a friend for a concert -- Bach's St. John's passion. Ah, but all was not lost. Believe it or not, a fourth bus arrived. I thought my anxiety was over, till I sat on the subway and 'a problem on the line' was announced. However, reminding myself that whatever time I arrived would be the right time, I relaxed and sure enough, got to the church with ten minutes to spare, soon to rise into the transcendental sphere of the music.

p.s. to last post. I looked out of the bus window, up at the sky. High above, the three-quarter moon hung in the blue and nearby, a plane flew, its parallel lines of vapour trail adding some human geometry to the cosmic. I had to be impressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment