Saturday, February 6, 2010

A photo does it

This morning a dear friend in South Africa sent me a photo of her moonlight convolvulus creeper that she planted from seed. The white flowers (a little like morning glories) unfurl in the evening and perfume the air. Looking at the image, I was transported back many years to when I first saw one of these magical plants.

It was at my husband's aunt's house in Johannesburg. She'd trained as a florist at Moyses Stevens in London and had a most beautiful garden. Also, she did the flowers for our wedding, something I only truly appreciated after I'd done them for our daughter's marriage celebration. Sara was a diminutive, bird-like woman with a sweet nature and somewhat forbidding aspect. I grew to love her very much. But first, I had to get to know her. This happened in the early days of our courtship, when my husband-to-be was ill and spent weeks recuperating at the home. She always made me welcome.

One evening a few years later, we were invited to dinner. Sar said to me, "Come outside, I want to show you something special." We went out through the French windows, and skirted the house. I stood entranced as we watched the tight bud begin to move, twist, open, and finally reveal it's pure glory.

Johannesburg, I believe, is one of the most treed cities in the world. I'd say it also has some of the most beautiful gardens. During my growing up years I was truly blessed in being able to spend many hours outside, dreaming or reading in a garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment