Wednesday, June 24, 2009

St. John's Day

I must confess, I haven't yet found my relationship to this festival. Still, it's interesting that both Christmas and St. John's Day fall three days after their respective solstices, so I'm holding a question in my mind: What happens during these three days to turn from the pagan into a Christian festival?

Today, the holiday in Quebec means a day off for me. Yay. I'd planned a bit of a catch up -- cleaning and computer, and maybe a bit of sales shopping as that's how I keep clothes on my back. However, the dh arranged a meeting and then lunch downtown so that possibility was nixed. And then I received a phone call from dear daughter-in-law to say she'd just taken a bread pudding out of the oven and would I like to come over and share it with her. I jumped on the bicycle and set off. Now, I like a bicycle, the pace of it that gives you a chance to look around at passing gardens, etc., and yet is quicker than walking.

We enjoyed an alfresco tea, the grandsons playing happily nearby. And I thought yes, that was a celebration, even though unexpected and unplanned. Sometimes those kinds of pleasures turn out to be the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment