Saturday, May 30, 2009

From the sublime to the... manipulations of fashion

I suppose, sooner or later, we'll have to get used to it. Waists are back. After years of wearing our pants lower and lower and lower, fashion has decided it's time to go to the other extreme and do high waists. Michelle Obama wears her elegant cardigan look with a wide belt. Hey, I got rid of mine at least twenty years ago. And even longer ago, I remember when all of a sudden, the mini was replaced by... the maxi!!

But usually, it doesn't go quite so long. I mean, only a couple of years ago I got rid of my last 80's style, shoulder-strong jackets. And now, whaddaya know, the look's coming back. Argh. I think it's nice to look nice and keep your look kind of current. And that's exactly what the fashion industry banks on. Basically, it's the silhouette that makes the difference, how the proportion ratio works, although I think we do have more flexibility these days. When I was young and tiny waists were in, we either wore our skirts pencil, or full with stiff petticoats underneath. The 80's did full shoulders and peg-top pants.

To go back to the beginning of this post, I found the slightly-lowered waist comfortable. When it came to fitting about almost half way down my hips... nuh uh. Couldn't do it. Now, when I wear the one skirt and one pair of pants that fits right at my waistline, it feels kind of odd. No doubt I'll grow accustomed!

No comments:

Post a Comment