Saturday, December 20, 2008

as I am able

This morning I have a song in my head, the Advent one that begins 'People look East' and goes on to 'Make your house fair as you are able'. And that's what I'm doing, cleaning and decorating in anticipation of hosting about a dozen people this afternoon/evening.

Yes, I've done a little decorating already, but now I'm serious about preparing our home for Christmas. One year our elder daughter was visiting and she's wonderful at creating a special atmosphere and beauty in her home. So I asked if she'd look after that side of things. She began by clearing the decks, so to speak. Putting away various objects and bits of china that I had sitting on side tables and so forth. Now I begin in that same place, and then I clean more thoroughly than usual, even doing a bit of furniture polishing.

It feels good. There's only one snag... at what point do I decide that I'm no longer able? I can keep going till I drop, but that would hardly be fun for our visitors! So at some stage I have to say 'enough'. Sometimes, thankfully, that's where my dear husband takes over and picks up the slack. Like today, when he'll be doing the cooking. Bless him.

No comments:

Post a Comment