Sunday, April 6, 2008

At last!

Winter has eased and spring is possible! In fact, it's almost happening here and in North Carolina I caught glimpses of green and even some trees fancied out with blossoms.

On an advanced short story course I took some years ago, one of the participants wrote a story in which winter was the only season of the year and never ended. I thought no-one would want to read pages and pages of bleak description and traumatic happenings, but the instructor said that type of story was eminently saleable.

Not to me. I realized then that I prefer the lighter side. And I've just read a lovely book about Renoir that suggests that, as an artist, he strove for that too. So if you're looking for an interesting read with an artistic spiritual slant, I recommend Susan Vreeland's 'Luncheon of the Boating Party'. I also loved her book about Emily Carr called 'Forest Lover'.

And now I'm off, out into the sunshine.

No comments:

Post a Comment